PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 15th Oct 2006, 11:58
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
The days of glory I refer to are those of the BBC! In WW2 it was rightly seen throughout Occupied Europe as the voice of freedom and hope, particularly as it told it how it was (as far as was permitted), warts and all. That tradition continued after the war, and as the sole Broadcasting Authority it took its mandate from Lord Reith to heart, and strove to entertain and inform in as unbiased and objective way possible. With the appearance of competition that changed. Today it sees itself, I think, as the counterweight to the likes of the 'Daily Mail' and rival Broadcasters, and feels obliged to position itself left of centre. In other words what strove to be apolitical is now very political, and funded by a tax levied on everyone, no matter what their political convictions. I say that is wrong!
As to the 50s, I too grew up in that bleak decade. All the more tribute to the Beeb then that they cheered us up with quality broadcasting!