PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Food for thought when you outsource your maintenance
Old 15th Oct 2006, 04:13
The Bungeyed Bandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reply to EmiratesSandpit:

Quote:
A bit surprising that SIA Engineering Company (SIAEC) did the work.

Quote:
In the last financial year, we underwent 92 internal audits and 107 external audits. Constant review of our work procedures ensures that a high standard of service is maintained. As a testament to the Company’s high quality of work, we currently hold regulatory approvals from 23 national aviation authorities and 20 airlines (as of April 2006). These includethe FAA, EASA, Japan Civil Aviation Bureau (JCAB), Emirates Airlines and Qantas Airways
SIAEC Annual Report 2005/2006

May I put forward the following reasons this A/C came out of a "D Check" in such a mess:
- Internal Audits at SIAEC are rubber stamped (SIAEC is a money making concern and we don't want to upset the honey cart or lose face do we?).
- External Audits if done by CAAS are also rubber stamped (I'll grease your palm if you grease mine).
- External Audits done by Regulatory Authorities from outside Singapore are well controlled by SIAEC:
- Plenty of notice given when an audit is going to be carried out.
- SIAEC dedicate 2 or 3 "Customer Relations" people to "look after" Outside Authority/Customer Inspectors. (Keep em away from job while we inspect lah). After all, the locals know where the best bars are.
- Keep all those uncontrolled items away from prying eyes.

EmiratesSandpit, if you beleive the sales pitch you quoted I think you may have been in the sun a bit too long.

As QF MAINT OUTSOURCED said: "now here is the best bit about this aircraft OJQ that just had it's D check done,it had a 55 hr structual inspection done in 8hrs overnight while on this check,1 person carried out the structual inspections on 4 pax doors,the wet area of the floor in E zone( TOILET AREA AT THE BACK OF THE AIRCRAFT),and the pressure deck in D zone(structure between the cabin and the landing gear wheel well),and the grand total of 1 defect was raised,this was of coarse done overnight when there was no QF rep around,bearing in mind that the nexted time these areas will be looked at will be 6 yrs,and this current check was not too flash,that will be 12 yrs before this area has a decent inspection.That's if it is done proerly the nexted time."

Don't forget, MROs employ LAEs/LAMEs to use a pen not swing a spanner. Get the inspection done ASAP, with the minimum of fuss and while no one else is looking. Unfortunately the customer (QF) reps are really only there to make sure the paperwork has all the "I"s dotted and the "T"s crossed. The MRO does the "inspection and rework".

It is for this reason that MROs can do Major Maintenance Checks so cheap.