PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 15th Oct 2006, 00:28
GlosMikeP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackonicko
I wonder whether any of those who angrily wrote to the Beeb, whining and demanding an explanation and apology for their speculation did the same to whoever is ultimately responsible for the MoD press desk, which was at least equally culpable.

Thought not.

After all, journos are the real enemy......
Journos the real enemy? No, I don't think so. As we discussed before on an old thread, comms are 2-way and the interface needs better definition. Hopefully MOD is working on that.

As it is, I believe there was sufficient concern on the inside that they didn't need pushing, just for once.

However, for my £1, the Beeb has been known for ever as the voice of reason, balance and accuracy. It's funded by the licence fee and therefore shouldn't feel the need to get the news first; it should feel obligated to get it right first time, every time though. The simple fact is, it didn't and lost credibility and goodwill (though not forever) as a result.

Both sides need to reflect on what went wrong and do something about it, perhaps paying some attention to the old adage we have one mouth but two ears.