PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Height requirments*
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2006, 14:28
cruisercruiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some research results

I've got some info here on height. Emailed OAT and got an answer:

"We do not have access to an Airbus, but I think you are less likely to have difficulty fitting an A320 than you might have fitting a 737. I recently witnessed a woman of 5’-1” stature doing a fitting in our 737 simulator. We determined that she would not be able to fly a 737. The problem for her was that once we raised the seat high enough for her to see over the instrument panel, she was not able to apply full right rudder while simultaneously applying full right wing down on the control yoke as her leg was in the way of the yoke. This is an actual manoeuvre required to pass a Type Rating check ride.

The above problem is unique to Boeing aircraft. The Airbus uses a side stick design so there are no controls between or above a pilot’s legs. This problem has less to do with a person’s height than it does with the length of one’s thigh, though the two are obviously related."

So those on the borderline at the lower end, it is advisable to arrange a fitting session with the training school you are going to train with.

cheers