PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2006, 17:06
vulcanpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cessna l plate
Just been reading through this thread again and have picked up on something.
Vulcan pilot said that he paid up front to get a discount. Mad Bear, whatever you do, do not be tempted by this idea at all. As others on other threads have said, never ever ever pay upfront at a flying school.

Although it is expensive, so are the overheads in running a school, and not all but some are in a precarious financial position, and this is more the norm than the exception. There have been thousands of pilots who have lost money paying upfront through the years. Small amounts are ok, ish! say £500 at a time max, but don't be tempted to pay the whole lot up front whatever you do.

So now 2 great pieces of advice on the thread, "chill out" and "don't pay upfront".
Not true in all cases - perhaps if you do it on the cheap abroad.

I picked a good, long standing UK FTO - and for me (and many others) it paid off. Perhaps if you are THAT scared, pay in chunks, but paying by the hour is the MOST expensive way of doing it.

I can only say what my experience was - and for me, it was the best thing to do. I also paid up for blocks of 10 hours to build time, and paid for my Tailwheel and NR up front. Perhaps I'm stupid, but as a businessman running a successful business, I think not! Just shrewd