PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citation II Type Rating - Difficult?
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2006, 03:56
formulaben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my CE 500 type rating with a low time pilot, and to be honest, he did a great job except for a couple moments of information overload. Ironically, his biggest problem was the instructors and the instructional organization! On the first day, in front of the entire class, they acknowledged his "inexperience" and how hard it was going to be for him. It was a sad display of bias against him. I've flown with pilots with 3 times my experience, and you'd never know it. Flight time is not the only criteria of skill. Your performance is based on many factors, but hours (experience) is only a part of the entire equation. My 2 cents:

1) Get the books beforehand and study up.
2) Get some simulator experience, such as a Frasca, at a local flight school if at all possible.
3) Find a local Citation and do some serious "sit time." Just run the checklist over and over, soaking it all in. Know where every switch is and get a feel for the flow patterns. Buy the pizza and beer for a fellow pilot and have them go through it with you, ad nauseum.

While at school, keep this in mind: just as in any checkride, they can only hold you to the standard; in this case, the ATP standard. I hate to say it, but they'll be scrutinizing you far more than a 4000 hour pilot, regardless of his/her skill. But if you're prepared and you meet the standard you should definitely stand up for yourself. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Fly safe.

Last edited by formulaben; 13th Oct 2006 at 04:47.