PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 'low fuel' MAYDAY
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 22:57
late developer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As expected.

I didn't question why the fire engine was there. I was just using the fact that it was the only thing I saw before touchdown as an example of how low the visibility was at Cardiff.

Three Virgins diverted that morning.

I know fog can lift pretty quick. Once upon a time I could tell you how quick because I used to rely on it to stalk pigeons!

I also know that early morning fog at early morning busy airports causes holds for some time afterwards.

No one said Gatwick was closed at any point and it really was brilliant clear and we did not hold 90 minutes later, so I made my simple deductions:

Virgins can land in thick fog but Virgins couldn't hold for long that morning. Three of them. Why? Not enough fuel. And how many times again and again over fifteen years?

Do you think I am wrong or what?

I am damn sure they aint the only operator who make the same mistakes.

I fully accept pilots make mistakes, but I am also damned sure now there are too many flying yes men. Not sure about flying yes women. I can barely imagine one because they are generally designed differently.

Bring on the ranking Danny by all means, I've formed my opinion and I ain't looking for votes or publishing rights.