PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 777/GE90 Emergency AD
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 16:09
easyduzzit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add: TOGA thrust settings are still order of the day on ALL GE90115B equipped aircraft, that being the B773 ER only, until GE comes up with a revised/improved software for the FADEC(so they say).
This anomoly apparently can only, & has only(twice) occurred during derated T.O. thrust settings, which to date have almost always been the case(other than wet weather, adverse effects or just the will to feel what they can do), due the immense thrust these BRT's can deliver!

Apparently at TOGA setting, the calculation matrix of the selected de-rated thrust desired, in the FADEC, is by-passed, preventing this from occurring again until a proven SW replacement is issued.

As far as noise abatement goes... I marvel daily, at the incredible "silent power" these machines deliver @ full rated thrust!
There is still no noise, other than the vibration of the nearby earth.
All one can hear is the N1 spin up then it all goes quiet as the monster launches itself like a short sectored B767 -200 PW4060.

Very Impressive, to put it mildly!
Although, I dont want to comment on what it is doing for the life of these engines???
I think GE are going to cough big time, if a fix does not appear SOON.