PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings Scheme thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 12:45
bjkeates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wildweasel81
Are you proud of that comment? Being honest, out of 10 what would you give yourself for maturity, for that comment?
Actually, wildweasel81, knowing dahawg123 I would rate him 10 out of 10 in terms of maturity. Can you really not take a joke (which it obviously was)? I think the point he has tried to put across in his last few posts about posting too much is actually very valid, and one you might not necessarily appreciate until you're actually out here. I know I didn't at first (yes, I've endured the endless mickey-taking from others out here about posting from aboard SQ321 on the Boeing Connexion service - you learn the hard way sometimes!), but I certainly do now.

Originally Posted by wildweasel81
Eh... it is. The whole point of selection is to select the people who will make it through training and to catch out those who won't.
It is not rocket science.
I would agree that, in my experience, the selection process is designed such that it will prevent people who aren't up to the standard from getting through and on to the course; at the same time, however, I do agree that posting intricate details of everything that happens on a selection day is possibly giving some people an unfair advantage. No matter how rigorous the selection is and how diligent and informed the selection team are with what they require, if people can actively prepare for something specific that they've been told on here and are able to offer an account of themselves which may not completely reflect the "real thing", besides giving a misleading impression they are also putting themselves at a fair amount of risk. The selection process is there for a reason, i.e. to filter out candidates who are not suitable. If unsuitable candidates manage to give a false impression going on intricate details they've learned from this forum and get on to the course, they are honestly doing themselves no favours and are merely devaluing the selection process for everyone else. It's not a question of rocket science, it's merely a question of common sense.

I would be lying if I said I didn't read PPrune before I went to selection and tried to pick up as much as I could; I also am willing to offer a certain amount of advice in the same way that dahawg123 did above and also with things such as travel arrangements and accommodation for the selection days, and also what things are like out here in NZ. I don't see anything wrong with that and I appreciate the views about "helping fellow potential aviators" as people have mentioned earlier. I do think, however, that posting every single little intricate detail about every selection day is going too far and in some ways defeats the whole point of it.

Last edited by bjkeates; 12th Oct 2006 at 12:55.