PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headset types in GA
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 11:15
Bendo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Tried my new X11's today...

... and I am only luke-warm.

Weight is lighter than the 13.4's, would you believe about 11 lb? They are very comfortable and if I wasn't playing with the ENC I would have forgotten I was wearing them. I will be doing some aero's over the weekend, too, so I will be interested to see if they stay on.

First impression was of usual DC build quality, very smooth and tight in all components, although I wonder how the carbon fibre headband will look after 5-10 years and 4,000 hours. The control box (2 x AA batteries supplied) is about 120mm long and 30-40mm wide and fairly unobtrusive. Again, will be interested to see if it floats around the cabin while doing aero's

What about the ENC?

The first test was in a Grob G115 - The Grob has a really irritating harmonic around 2400-2600 rpm which is what tipped the balance and made me buy ENC. The harmonic wasn't eliminated but at other power settings all I could hear was wind noise (ok and the tone of he motor... but not really "engine noise").

Gazelle is OK but an incredible squeal on the PTT that wasn't there with my 13.4's. Low frequancy noise breaks through and the overall noise reduction seemed to be less than the plain 13.4s.

Aeros in the Decathlon ... yes the little box floats around and its mass allowed the cords to move around more than plain cords, on one instance looping the cords around my neck during a reverse cuban. The ENC was patchy with lots of low-frequency noise breaking through. The seal around my ears actually isn't as good and at one stage the noise level with the ENC on had me worried that the door had come open.

To be honest I am really disappointed. I have yet to see how they go in a twin but it may be a while before I am in one again. If anyone has tried them in a twin please let me know - otherwise I might be sending them back

Last edited by Bendo; 14th Oct 2006 at 09:40. Reason: to whinge and moan like a real pilot.