PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors, a rare breed indeed!!
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 07:47
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the lack of flying instructor situation will only get worse. Also if the powers that be have their way the MPL (Multi Pilot Licence), which as I understand it will require no flight training in "real" a/c before going onto the jets, is just around the corner.

The writing was on the wall when they got rid of the self improver route. In those days there was always a supply of young keen instructors building their hours prior to moving on to airline work. Also with the increasing commercial pressures none of the the air transport companies will allow their pilots to do the odd bit of instructing to keep their hand in as these hours count towards flight time limitations.

Most of the instructors who are left are getting more geriatric (me included) and when they expire who will take their place?

Mind you the big air transport undertakings want the MPL because this will save them a lot of money and perhaps go a long way to stemming a lack of "suitable" pilots which would limit their commercial plans/expansion. Whether this will be good for safety long term is highly debatable.

Interesting times ahead!