PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bliar “Promises” Extra Resources in Afghanistan
Old 12th Oct 2006, 07:35
phil gollin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wader2
He said, and I quote, so it must be true:

"I would like to thank my Rt Hon friend the Chancellor for making over £60m of new money available so we can fund this new bonus without taking any existing defence funding away from front line needs. "
Thanks, but ......

We get £60m to pay for the bonus, however it is being reported that the Treasury is pressing for various major projects to be cancelled quoting a times article :-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2398487.html

and in particular :

"Treasury officials engaged in spending-round negotiations for next year’s budget settlements highlighted three projects that could be vulnerable: the acquisition of two Type 45 destroyers, each valued at £605 million; the development of a new generation of armoured personnel carriers, known as FRES (future rapid effects system), costing £12 billion; and a 25-year private finance initiative scheme for a new tri-Service training programme, costing about £10 billion. The Times learnt yesterday that the Treasury is demanding that the MoD cut one major project plus the order for the two destroyers. MoD sources said that the contracts, along with other procurement projects, were being looked at under the negotiations but said that there would be no decisions until next July. "

give £60m with one hand, take back billions with the other !