PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors, a rare breed indeed!!
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 07:25
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that my previous school had a lot of trouble replacing me when I left. I gather they are now staffed by a number of part-time instructors, who all have other jobs which pay their bills, and instruct for a bit of fun on their days off. Which, it could be argued, makes for some of the best instructors out there, but I know it's not what my previous boss was looking for.

As I see it, apart from increasing the number of part-timers, the only way schools will be able to continue to find instructors if the demand for airline pilost continues to increase is to pay them a sensible wage. Unfortunately, it's difficult to see how this will happen without putting up the prices for the customers.....

It's also worth noting, to Jinkster, that when I was looking for my first instructor job, I applied to over 90 schools, and had quite a few replied like the one you had, and several that didn't reply at all. I did a bit of flying for one school, which didn't work out too well (they told me it was a full-time position, but didn't have any students so I couldn't make any money). Then, after a couple of months, I got two job offers and heard of a position at a third school. I accepted one of the offers and worked there for two very pleasant years. So stick with it, because they might just mean exactly what they said in their letter.

FFF
---------------