PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hairy Flypasts
Thread: Hairy Flypasts
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 06:23
BEagle

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts
It should have been 9, but the last element had been delayed in KKIA. So 5 of us left Palermo at regular intervals; a bit of chat between us generated a join up plan for the first 4; we were No.4. I tried to get out of CAS as soon as possible, but Butty cocked up the RT and we didn't descend until later. Then the ever-helfpul ATC at a certain aerodrome near Wallingford wouldn't let us fly through Abingdon due to some Corgi-carrier inbound to their aerodrome, so we scooted over at 1000 ft to catch the others who were lurking over the Cotswolds. I was allocated the No.4 slot; lead was down to almost minimum fuel, so we quickly formed up then came over the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome in box. Change to 2 pairs in trail, then a VRIAB and stream landing. As we cleared, the 5th Palermo jet which had been pedal-to-the-metal all the way came round Cartoontown low and fast and broke overhead the Guiness tanker, to join us for a 5-ship taxi in shortly afterwards.... The others made it back later the same afternoon.

The Guiness tanker was organised by 'Snake', of course. His conversation with the Staish re. S*mpo's homecoming plan was epic:

"You say he's planning a 6-aircraft formation arrival?"

"Only if he can't arrange all 9, sir."

"But that's outrageous. He can't do that. Only the Stn Cdr can authorise such large formations!"

"I think you'll find that he authorised it when he was Stn Cdr Riyadh, actually sir....."

"What! He....err...errr...well, what else has been planned?"

"Well, there's Freddie-the-fox from Fox FM, Central TV South, BBC TV......oh, and we've negotiated a novel follow-me vehicle. A Guiness tanker"

"Oh good grief..... And I thought I had a career......!"