PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 low G pushover and autos
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 02:44
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vital,

I think you mix something up here:

Low G ( and/or negativ G), are inertia issues - at the moment it happens airflow doesn't matter.

Pushover:
You just where going forward and up, and inertia wants to keep it that way, no matter where you push the rotor-disc or with how much power.
Do keep things positiv you have to let gravity do its thing - once inertia bled off enough your rotor will cause some effect.

Auto:
You where going straight and level and inertia wants to keep it that way.
You enter the auto with collective down too fast and/or not enough backpressure on the stick, the nose will drop, but the helo wants to keep going straight - until gravity does its thing again....

In both occasions it does not matter what airflow does at the time as the rotor can't make the whole helicopter react.
Obviously if you reduce the collective and the pedals, the tendency for the helo to roll right (Robinson) is reduced or eliminated.
The right roll is caused by all the pedal you are carrying to react to the torque you carry.
When the T/R-disc goes above the CG it causes the helo to roll to the right, which you can't stop with the cyclic as the rotor has no effect on the helo, 'cause inertia is at work.
Give it enough time and gravity will take care of it.
However if you don't know what is happening you probably will panic at the "No"-reaction of your initial cyclic input. You give it more left - once you are at the stop the head will bump the mast - depends how hard the initial contact is, you might break the mast, rip it out of the trans, etc.
If that doesn't happen but you still banged it hard enough, the blades may flex low enough to start to chew through your tailboom - it's academic - either one will do you in just fine...

I might have been one of the last to had this demonstrated at the safety course, and it was very interesting to see how easy you can handle this - however it is esential to get it demonstrated by a competent pilot.

I do NOTdemo it nor do I try to practise this!!

Its a little like retreading blade stall - no big deal, if you know what it is and that is coming. Wrong reaction for lack of knowledge and you're dead just like with the low G.

3top