PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 2166 from Tampa
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2006, 21:50
Flying Fred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrystinger
I'm sorry, but this is simply incredible! Evasive action, followed by serious injuries and yet the flight crew continue? First a BA 747 loses an engine, but goes on and then this....You may have serious injuries, but hey, the crew need to get home.
Doesn't say much about BA's incident procedures. What other serious things happen that passengers are powerless to do anything about at 37,000ft? I'm truly surprised.
Jerrystinger,
Your post illustrates the worst excesses of this forum. You jump to amazing conclusions with no access to the facts.
Evasive action, followed by serious injuries
The crew were responding to ATC instructions followed by a TCAS RA. What do you expect them to do? Carry on as they were and risk a collision? Who mentioned serious injuries? For your information it is standard procedure to get a paramedic out to assess injuries before people are moved from the aircraft. The last time I had to do this, it was for a cabin crew member who had slipped on a wet floor and twisted his knee. According to your instant analysis of the situation, should we have diverted for that?
You may have serious injuries, but hey, the crew need to get home.
That comment is cheap and contemptible
Doesn't say much about BA's incident procedures
I'm sorry to disagree but it says completely the opposite. The crew reacted correctly to ATC and subsequent TCAS instructions. They then assessed the situation, using the onboard medical professional and Medlink (a dedicated team of doctors based in Phoenix Arizona who BA contract to supply expert advise for airborne medical problems) via satcom plus talking to the injured themselves. Only then did they make the decision to continue.
You owe a big apology to that crew and to BA.