PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ring any bells with anyone?
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2006, 19:08
Cusco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep : my CCF log book surfaces every few years: it has currently gone AWOL:
I too got a 'Gliding Scholarship' courtesy of RAF section of CCF at RAF Henlow at Easter 1962:
Great time: we all went solo (I went solo on my 17th birthday) I got the BGA gliding certificates A and B which are in front of me as I type : FAI certificate No 34440 countersigned by no less than the then President of the Royal Aero Club, Lord Brabazon of Tara.
It was a great atmosphere at Henlow: the C O was a (?) Flt Lt Bullivant and the chief Cadet NCO a Sgt Buckby (yes much p*ss was taken behind his back.)
They had a couple of civvy gliding instructors, one of whom was called 'Pete' and drove a souped up Ford Zephyr Zodiac like a loony all over the airfield.
All it cost us was mess fees of a shilling (5p) a day.
Only excitement apart from cagging down the side of the Sedburgh and having to wipe it off once back on the ground, was a cable break on my second solo necessitating a v rapid circuit and crosswind landing across the cables.
I went on to join Cambridge University Gliding Club (membership card signed by Anne Heyhurst - another name to conjure with) in the heady days when they flew out of Marshalls, spending many a hot summer's day in the winch in return for a quick five minute circuit at dusk in a Ka7.
When I wasn't in the winch I was repairing cable breaks: they used to buy up the RAF's cast offs (RAF dumped a cable after 3 breaks) CUGC cables had a repair every 50 ft or so it seemed.
Soon had to give up though as my univ course was too busy to allow much free time and haven't been in a glider since.
One day maybe.
Safe flying
Cusco