PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines you wish still existed
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2006, 15:17
barry lloyd

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Panair do Brasil (DC-8s), who gave me an ID 100% firm LHR-RIO-LHR in 1964.
The flight stopped in Recife on the way back, and I was offloaded due to weight problems - the aircraft, not me! - and caught malaria! Still a great trip though. In those days the Rio-Sao Paulo airbridge was operated by C-46s - magic!
Lineas Aereas Paraguayas Once flew first class with them Asuncion-Buenos Aires in a 707. The cutlery consisted of an Aerolineas Argentinas fork, a LAN Chile knife, and a LAP teaspoon, (which I still have!).
It was known locally as Lineas Aereas Peligrosas. (peligrosas = dangerous).
Eastern (US) Was once flying Cali-Miami, when we made what was decscribed as a 'technical diversion' into Panama. Apparently several of the crew (who were Panamanian) were later arrested for drug smuggling.
TABSO of Bulgaria, with their smelly (inside & outside!) TU-154s.
BEA The Trident (aah, de Havilland) run from Moscow back to LHR, in the mid 70's, when the captain would announce "We have now left Soviet airspace." A cheer would go up, and champagne would appear throughout the cabin. All economy in those days!
Braniff Taking off from La Paz one night with a fullish load, (DC-8) bound for DFW. The captain warned us that the aircraft would just lift off at the end of the runway after T/O, and then drop a bit - and it did!
Slightly off thread, but on the subject of La Paz - Shorts took a 330 there one time for trials. It flew in OK, but despite numerous attempts, could never get airborne. It was eventually dismantled and taken away in a CL-44.
British Caledonian Enough said already - but they get my vote as one of the best airlines - ever!