PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More dosh, less tax
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2006, 19:09
SirPeterHardingsLovechild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...I am pleased to announce today that we intend to introduce a new, tax-free, flat-rate, operational bonus, which for a six month tour would amount to two thousand, two hundred and forty pounds. For an average private or lance-corporal, this is equivalent to the amount of tax they would pay during a six month tour. It means that half our people on operations will be better off than under a tax exemption – increasingly so for the lower paid. The most junior will be over five hundred pounds better off after a six month tour. Just as importantly, everyone on operations will be equally better off, by just under £100 per week, free of tax...

...The payment will be backdated to 1 April 2006, as an adjustment to pay arrangements in the current financial year. Full details of eligibility will be made public shortly but I can confirm that besides Afghanistan it will apply to our forces in Iraq and in the Balkans...

The 'six month tour' quote is an illustration on how much it would be worth, not a statement of the minimum criteria. Here's hoping that it will be piggy backed onto LSA. But at least the young squaddies will be getting it.

I bet they call it the LSA Operational Bonus LSA(OB)