PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2006, 16:38
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I lost my sign...

It would seem that the pickings out on the streets were too thin, so that the gangsters must go after the expats in their compounds now.

I wonder if everyone is still relying on dummies with billy clubs as gate guards. Of course, from what we read here, the MOPOLs might not be all that much use, armed or not. It was a funny thing how the cops often seemed to be not there when an 'operation' was taking place. Not always, to be fair, but often enough. I remember one shoot-'em-up I heard about that took place around dawn, when the first minions of the law arrived at 0900.

Oh for 'the good old days' (not that they really were all that good, actually) when security was Grandpa asleep on a flattened-out cardboard carton in front of the villa's door. If I was in a benevolent mood I would just step across him to enter but if I was in a bad mood I would wake him up and shout at him. Of course that could take a little while and I was usually in a bit of a hurry to get inside and recycle some Champion (The Wonder Beer!).