PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss Of Nerve ?
Thread: Loss Of Nerve ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2006, 14:46
170'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Interesting thread CC5...

My personal trigger for a sense of uneasiness,fear and loathing. Is height!
A steady climb to a reasonable altitude is ok! But instant altitude is what gets me.

Flying high to low over a 5000' rim will make me squirm. It's a similar sensation to when I'm watching my wife open a plastic box with a sharp kitchen knife. I just feel uneasy. Nothing's happening, just a sense that I wish I was somewhere else...

I had a great friend years ago who knew I didn't like flying high. We were ferrying a 214B to a jobsite in S. America, and I fell asleep in the right seat during his leg. When I woke up. We were at 10,000'.

It took me 3 days to get over it...

I think we should abandon height minimums and implement height maximums. I can't think of a single reason, legitimate or otherwise that would make me want to fly a helicopter at 10,000'AGL...

For all you guys who know legitimate reasons for high level cruising. Keep it to yourself. I think you're sick puppies, and I won't listen to your Pinko,Athiest blabber! ...170'

ps...CC5...The responses to your post are pretty self evident regarding nerves/sanity. Either we're all ok or we're all nuts!..You are not alone ;-)