PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2006, 14:05
Ranger One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bertie Bonkers
This was touched on indirectly up the thread, but going back to the original incident - one thing is confusing me. Joe Sharkey described the moment of collision thus:

"Without warning, I felt a terrific jolt and heard a loud bang, followed by an eerie silence, save for the hum of the engines."

No mention of any pressure wave or turbulence from the larger aircraft, which I would have expected to severely affect the Legacy's handling immediately following the contact given the apparent angle of collision (head-on).
I think you show a lack of appreciation for the sheer speed/timescale issues involved in such an incident - it would have happened and been 1/4 mile astern in the time it takes you to say BANG! The physical impact would be indistinguisable from the shock wave. If you're a pilot you'll know there can be a few bumps from wake turbulence if you're following another aircraft in cruise - but not very noticeable if you've just experienced a mid-air, and depending on the jetstream they might not have got much at all...

There might also be a little journalistic licence going on here.

R1