PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GNSS NPA's are dangerous
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2006, 07:49
Capn Bloggs

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts
Hot Boy,
stop persisting with ur drivel
You can call it what you like mate, the fact is that people are having problems with GPS NPAs because of the difficulty caused by Foxtrot and it is likely that the design contributed to the deaths of 19 people. And yes, you'll be pleased to know that I have had quite a lot of success in forcing Jepp/Honeywell to change their database programming, which just goes to make the whole situation more pathetic: it could be done properly but it wasn't.

As you know I have said before (how many Prune guises do you have?), the box doesn't give two hoots about where the waypoints are for tracking or mode changes. One of our boxes starts scaling down to APPR 2nm before it gets to Foxtrot so it's pretty obvious in doesn't need to fly over a waypoint to start doing something different.

IF your theory about the design criteria is correct (and NavMonkey's answer above casts doubt on that) then the design criteria, allowing one waypoint at ~10nm, should be changed and the Foxtrot "point" should become a distance from Mike (as it is with every other non-precision approach). I simply do not accept that the technology to do this cheaply doesn't exist. NavMonkey might have to redraw all the approach charts, but that'll give him something to do!

Last edited by Capn Bloggs; 10th Oct 2006 at 11:24. Reason: correcting doubled text