PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2006, 07:24
cessna l plate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad Bear
At the risk of boring everyone by comparing flying to driving again, (I am more of an expert at that than flying) I understand what you mean. You do need to carry out a task often to be relatively competent at it.

That said, when you go off to the Bahamas for a 2 week holiday, when you get back in your car, are you as good as before you went away? Thought not, it takes a few minutes to re-adjust again, get your eye in if you like. Same with flying, again the more you do it the better you will be, but it doesn't mean that you are pathetic at it.

Affordability.
None of us, not a single one of us can afford to fly. Some might have more financial resources available to enable aviation, but no-one can actually afford it when the yardstick is other commitments like holidays. At our level of aviation, for once in your life, leave the brain out of the equation, and let your heart steer you. We all fall into two camps on this topic, those who admit that the heart rules the mind, and those that don't admit it!

What the hell has that to do with the price of wet fish exactly? I can promise you the day you stop learning is the day they nail the lid down and pat your face with a shovel! They key part of flying and the number one skill is that of decision making, and making a good, safe one quickly. That skill has now spilled into my work life, and although there are other circumstances, I have gone from being a driver to being in charge of the whole operation, as I can be trusted to make quick decisions that work. All due to flying.

At the risk of sounding nasty, I don't mean to be, but you need a good swift kick in the rear. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and attempting to justify it to yourself, just get on and do it. Life is too short and too full of regrets to add another one!

Now a little help with the financial services comittee.
Yes, you could go to the Bahamas for a holiday this year on the money a ppl will cost. Now ask the kids, do they want a 2 week holiday somewhere exotic, or do they want their old man to get a ppl and have days, yes days, out in Northern France, Disneyland Paris, Scotland, Parts of near Europe etc. Would they like to be able to go to Spain (or wherever) and fly off for the day? No brainer really!! My good example is the wifes Uncle who lives 2 miles from Shoreham. We couldn't go to a party there this weekend due to other commitments, as it takes about 6 hours to drive, in each direction. It would take 1h40m by PA28. We could have gone, had a good day and come home again same day. She might not like flying, but she is sold on the part of the idea!

Now get down to Elstree, stop feeling sorry for yourself and get a ppl!