PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2006, 19:15
Johnbr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everybody,
Being busy these last few days,I came to this forum in the hopes of learning of something new on this accident,which I think,we all in this trade should be doing.Many of us are genuinely concerned about the facts and more important,the lessons to be learned form this and a bit of speculation is in order,I guess.But,nonetheless,I read a few posts here,that really sadden me.Let's see....
The "Banana Republic"airline was operating a brand new 737/800(they have a fleet of 60+ 737's NG,of which they've ordered 100+)in his correct FL/Airway.
The "Äll Mighty" american pilots were flying a "Banana Republic"made brand new EMB145 corporate version Legacy,of which I've seen plenty in "Äll Mighty"places like MIA,JFK,CDG,LHR,you name it....
They were both operating in radar covered area equipped with state-of-the-art radar provided by "All Mighty"makers such as Raytheon,Thomson and Lockheed-Martin , and recently installed.
These are facts.
The 738,was at Fl370 as for his Flight plan,operating a scheduled flight when it was hit by the Legacy,who should be at FL360.Fact!
What remains to be uncovered is:Why was the Legacy at FL370?????
Comm fail? We do have procedures to cover that,published by ICAO,to which Brasil complies with,as have been posted here in this very same forum before...
Transponder fail?? Who knows,the thing went back on,right after the MAC,right?
Maybe someone got too distracted showing off the knew toy to a reporter who shouldn't be at the cockpit,and missed the calls from ATC,or did not realize the seriousness of the situation,or did not see,at the nav chart that he was supposed to change level....Who knows...
Maybe someone got too worried with a blip with no sqwak in his/her screen and lost SA,thus preventing him/her from taking precautionary measures to avoid this MAC.Who knows....
One thing's for sure:The "Banana Republic"Capt on the 738 is out of this "blame game"as someone put it before..
Anyway,I do not believe that this whole thing it's going to come down as a blame game,at all.Brasil has a very good record in aviation safety(not perfect though,like every other "All Mighty"countrys in the world) and I'm pretty confident that the people from NTSB,Boeing,Anac and Brazil's Air Force are all eager to find the answers for all the questions every one of us are waiting for.The whole world is watching!
P.S. I'm not,in any way,trying to get back at anybody with the "Banana Republic"stuff...Just trying to add some sense to the discussion.