PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2006, 16:38
mad_bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cessna l plate
OK MB
I fully understand your financial situation (see my earlier thread). To begin with you have negotiated 40 hours flying to get your licence. A couple of reality checks here for you, legal MINIMUM for qualification is 45 hours JAR. 32 hours NPPL, but the syllabus is the same anyway. The reality is that most people take about 60 hours to qualify. Just working to minimums, you have budgeted too short to start with by 5 hours.
Sure. This is my problem in a nutshell. If I were to `chill out' properly, I would just fly once a month, which I can afford to do without too much hardship, and spend the money I budgeted for training on a family holiday in the Bahamas or something. I know my family would think this a better use of funds. I probably wouldn't ever get to PPL standard, because at my age I just forget stuff too easily if I don't do it often enough.

What's bothering me is whether I would be happy flying, knowing that I probably wouldn't ever be basically competent at it. Knowing the kind of person I am, I have a sneaking suspicion that the answer is no. Unfortunately. This is nobody's problem but my own, of course.

As for cost-saving measures, I fly a 172 because it's the smallest thing I can fly. I am too tall, wide, and heavy for anything smaller. I've done my research, and that's just the way it seems to be, unfortunately.