PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Revised Bristol/Cardiff airspace/SIDs/STARs
Old 9th Oct 2006, 16:14
Standard Noise
StandupfortheUlstermen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rod Eddington
I've certainly never seen POMAX missed by that kinda margin in the given scenario.
Firstly, they misheard (and in which case probably gave an incorrect readback) the instruction and took up the heading straight away.
Secondly, the co-ordinates of POMAX are wrong on the database. Also unlikely, but can be checked.
Airbus FMGS would not cut a corner like that if turning onto a heading, as usually you'll leave a discontinuity after POMAX to do that. And even if flying the route CPT-POMAX-CF27 (which 99% of the BRS crew have in the flight plan) there really isn't much of a corner to cut.
Cheers
Thanks for that Rod, but it's not an isolated incident, it first happened three weeks ago with an E145 and I passed it off as a freak thing, but I returned from two weeks leave on Saturday, and it happened again with a 319 and yes, it was by 3-4 miles (should it happen again, i'll measure it exactly with the wizziwig line).
On neither occasion was there an incorrect readback which got missed but maybe the pilots misunderstood the instruction rather than misheard it.
As for the POM coordinates being wrong on the database, I wouldn't know. But I agree that in most cases, it isn't much of a corner to cut, however, the corner in question is important in keeping folks inside CAS, which is exactly the point of the whole thing in the first place.