PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Revised Bristol/Cardiff airspace/SIDs/STARs
Old 9th Oct 2006, 15:29
Rod Eddington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Standard Noise
But here's one to throw back at you piloty people.......when you are coming in from the east, many of us will say "descend FL80, leave Pomax heading 250/240 etc" (this keeps you just inside CAS and puts you on a closing heading straight away), but I have noticed several times with 319's and E145's, that you miss Pomax by 3-4 miles to the south and go on to the heading which then takes you outside of CAS. Now to my question, is Pomax that hard for the compooter to find, or do you guys just hanker after the good old days of short notice avoiding action?
Well there are only 2 reasons I can come up with that any of the ezy319s would do this although I've certainly never seen POMAX missed by that kinda margin in the given scenario.

Firstly, they misheard (and in which case probably gave an incorrect readback) the instruction and took up the heading straight away. Unlikely, as you'd imagine the incorrect readback would be picked up, but possible.

Secondly, the co-ordinates of POMAX are wrong on the database. Also unlikely, but can be checked.

Airbus FMGS would not cut a corner like that if turning onto a heading, as usually you'll leave a discontinuity after POMAX to do that. And even if flying the route CPT-POMAX-CF27 (which 99% of the BRS crew have in the flight plan) there really isn't much of a corner to cut.

Cheers