PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure after takeoff
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2006, 13:39
MattCollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True, it isn't the simplest bit of flying ever, but as long as the flying is accurate (ie, speed very close to optimal) and the rate of bank isn't too excessive or too shallow, you can at least turn enough to get back to the airfield. Yes, the landings were heavy, but within g-limits and no extra damage resulted. (FYI, the two full EFATO's landed on grass, while the partial made it back on the run with ease) And yes, doing a turn back just above 300" will result in being very low 'over the hedge', but I know I'd prefer meeting the ground actually on the airfield near medical attention than in a random field with locked gates and a very angry bull!!

However, as I stressed, the captain is always responsible for flying the a/c. If all else fails, just keep the speed up and the nose pointed away from hard stuff! Even using a hedge to 'aid braking performance' or ground looping can save you (and your passenger's) life...

EDIT: Just for info, climbing speed for mycurrent a/c is 55kt, circuit and descent speed 60, and approach (below 300") is 65kt. Optimal sink rate is 62kt, optimal climb is 58kt.

Last edited by MattCollins; 9th Oct 2006 at 13:44. Reason: speeeelling miskates and more info