PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA IR not for use in an N reg
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2006, 13:28
tmmorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA IR not for use in an N reg

I know that an FAA IR grants (effectively) IMC privileges flying a G-reg in UK airspace, but I wondered what advice people would give on the following...

I have a JAR PPL(A)/IMC rating and an FAA PPL issued on the former. I fly fairly frequently in IMC and try where possible to fly an IAP into my home base, which thankfully is a military airfield with PAR and ILS and they don't charge IAP fees. I'd like to improve my standard of IMC flying and had thought about doing a JAR IR but realistically I'm not likely to fly anything turbocharged or deiced, or do much European touring, so airways wouldn't really be much use anyway.

So I wondered about doing an FAA IR. It would of course enable me to improve my standard considerably, both practically and theoretically. I could fly under IFR in the States - I don't do a lot of flying there but could well be doing more in future. And presumably if I kept it current, I wouldn't also need to keep the IMC current (? can I do my required approaches in a G-reg in UK airspace?)

What do people think - is this a good use of my money, for example, or should I just book an instructor and go and do more IMC work without pursuing a rating?

Tim