PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2006, 12:37
cessna l plate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK MB
You are about 6 hours in, around about the point that aviation becomes addictive. Sounds like you had a good lesson the other day, and as for giving the landing to the instructor, I still do that at 40 hours on the odd occassion!
So ask yourself this, and be honest to yourself, no point in lying to yourself, "do I enjoy it", "is it a challenge"?
If you answer yes to either of these, then you are an addict, welcome to the club!!

I fully understand your financial situation (see my earlier thread). To begin with you have negotiated 40 hours flying to get your licence. A couple of reality checks here for you, legal MINIMUM for qualification is 45 hours JAR. 32 hours NPPL, but the syllabus is the same anyway. The reality is that most people take about 60 hours to qualify. Just working to minimums, you have budgeted too short to start with by 5 hours.

So after the 40 you can only fly once a month. So ??? I take it that you are quite happy in your chosen career, and have no ambition to become a boeing driver? If that is the case, then why worry about it, if you enjoy it then do it, and if you can only do it once a month then do it that way. None of us know what the future holds, and you could win the lottery next weekend. Fancy giving it up just incase you don't??

Just accept this for what it is, a great hobby, surrounded by great people, and one of lifes great acheivements, and do what you can when you can.

I promise you this, keep flying and I will come to Elstree after I qualify to take you up for an hour, just to show you that it isn't that hard, and what the end result looks like, however if someone else would like to do this sooner then all hands please help this poor tortured soul!