PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Revised Bristol/Cardiff airspace/SIDs/STARs
Old 9th Oct 2006, 11:42
Rev Thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Standard Noise
when you are coming in from the east, many of us will say "descend FL80, leave Pomax heading 250/240 etc" (this keeps you just inside CAS and puts you on a closing heading straight away), but I have noticed several times with 319's and E145's, that you miss Pomax by 3-4 miles to the south and go on to the heading which then takes you outside of CAS. Now to my question, is Pomax that hard for the compooter to find, or do you guys just hanker after the good old days of short notice avoiding action?
Tenner says this is due to POMAX being marked in the FMC as a 'flyby' rather than 'overfly' waypoint, and the route being CPT-POMAX-BRI, with the pilot opting to let the FMC begin the turn, and then manually dialling in the heading-select for 240/250/260 radar heading as instructed, after the turn is underway, and switching to HDG SEL from LNAV at that point.

Net result, the turn begins just before POMAX - because the FMC was planning to make a standard rate bank and roll out level 'direct BRI' on the opposite side of POMAX. Normal practice, I thought, for FMCs to cut corners, unless the turning RNAV waypoint is explicitly marked as 'overfly', instead of 'flyby' (in which case, it would cross directly overhead POMAX and then begin the turn).

I may well be utterly wrong and am not ashamed to accept that (because I don't fly 'buses, at least not in 'RL'), but perhaps an EZY or BACon pilot can elaborate? If it is this situation, then perhaps SOPs need to be reviewed, in light of the closeness of the edge of CAS here?