PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GNSS NPA's are dangerous
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2006, 04:25
hot_buoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
I agree Foxtrot is a crock. OzExPat blames the manufacturers for not wanting to/not able to remove Foxtrot because of scaling issues but I simply don't understand that.
Now that these approaches have allegedly killed more people than an NDB or VOR for years, it's about time CASA changed the design standard in the light of better technology.
If I understand it, CASA was the world leader in GPS NPA design and the concept is great. However, the waypoint at 5nm was a mistake IMO and that should be designed out post-haste.
as you've been told before [and you "simply don't understand that"] the design of GPS NPAs is forced by the US military [the owners of the GPS system] not the manufacturers, nor the procedure designers.

although i personally don't have a problem with the concept of distance to next wpt, i can understand that some might, and would prefer a distance to THR [not MAPt as this can be up to 3km fm THR].

what you are looking for is a presentation which will allow you to do some simple mental math to improve your situational awareness. A laudable concept, lord know when ur bouncing around SP IFR on a dark stormy night you don't want to add complexity to what is a difficult time at best.
this does not equate with the REQUIREMENTS of the procedure design to track you from one waypoint to the next [this is what a GPS receiver does - from the manufacturer] whilst keeping you clear of terrain [what the procedure designer does].

your statements are futile. unless the US military amend their specification, the manufacturers won't change their software/hardware, and procedure designers can't change procedure steps.
if you think there is a way to change the procedure plate presentation such that you will be better able to use that information AS IT RELATES TO THE WAY THE DATA IS PRESENTED ON THE GPS UNIT {this bit can't be changed without telling the USM} then, by all means, talk to CASA.
this means the presentation on the GPS won't change as it is not controlled by AsA nor CASA. the procedure plate, either AsA or Jepp version, can be changed. if you reckon there can be an improvement, let someone who can do something about that know. else stop persisting with ur drivel

read "stuffups by Honeywell/Jeppesen". I wonder when they will ever get their act together. Considering millions of people the world over are putting their lives in the hands of their product every day, it's a wonder they can't do a better job (or the regulator doesn't jump on them).
like all big business, they don't respond to governments just $$$