PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2006, 22:16
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.. now we are back on track (so to speak)
.. some of the reasonable questions and opinions in the last few postings (such as those from Austrian Simon) are why most of us bother with these discussions .. it is to ‘understand’ an share relevant hypothesis and factual information such as the ICAO quote from PPRuNe Radar, to heighten awareness and avoid similar error scenarios from occurring in the future (such as the incorrect assumptions regarding comm Loss and flight progression thereafter) … NOT APORTION INDIVIDUAL BLAME!
.. that said .. it is clear there are some .. well … lets call them potential anomalies to this accident sequence that will only really be clarified by thorough investigation. RVSM, TXPDR/TCAS, ATC procedures etc will likely all be in there and so they should be!! .. in the meantime it is important to look at the what if’s even if they in the end have no relevance to this accident .. everyone reading will be thinking of the ‘what if’s’ not matter what they are .. that must be a positive thing for air safety generally!
My issue is with some of our contributions is that we MUST not accuse individuals without factual basis, rather ask the questions of how and why the events occurred!
. I get very hot under the collar when ‘individuals’ (be they pilots or air traffic controllers) are besmirched without basis for doing so!
Clearly, as with all these types of events, the system defences broke! … individuals may or may not have played roles in that!
.. my point again is that most always the errors are inadvertent and unintentional and it is neither fair nor reasonable to blame individuals when on any given day, given the same set of fault tree components .. ANY INDIVIDUAL could fall into the same holes!!
.. aside from anything else that might come out of this horrific accident … ICAO mandating of track offsets outside SID/STAR/terminal areas MUST be defined and promulgated globally A.S.A.P! … any argument about tolerances applied on lateral crossing points is mute compared to the safety enhancement gained!!
Rippa .. that is most interesting regarding the airborne radar .. I will be very interested to see what is said in the wash-up re that system and its operating rules!!