PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure after takeoff
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2006, 21:06
MattCollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly single engine Very Low Performance a/c from a very small field quite often (most weeks). I was always taught to fly engine failures in a very similar way, no matter the a/c (as long as it was single engine and had wings)

Basicly, Stick the nose down to get stalling speed + 20%ish, then depending on height....

below 300": Land ahead (within 45degrees of current heading) on the runway/field/road/river(!!)/anything soft after chopping the throttle and completing as many checks as poss. The fuel cock takes priority...

300-500" with wind <10kt: Turn back to land on runway/airfield. FIRM checks can then usually be carried out, so fuel cock off, ignition off, radio call, main switch off. However, FLY THE AIRCRAFT!!! If the wind is >10kt then land ahead as above.

500"+: Nose down, throttle closed as the above two, then complete a mini-circuit. Once downwind, assess height, rate of descent, complete a couple checks if time. If you're not gonna make it round finals (ie final turn to be commenced at 300") then throw it away and land downwind, otherwise, do finals and land.

I've had three engine failures in as many a/c (all mech probs, honest!!) and not broken anything else (me or the a/c) on landing.

Obviously, the captains decision is final. For example, if the wind is really slack, then you could get a long way out before reaching 300", so unable to make it back from a turnback. The best decision would probably (bearing in mind landing area) be to land ahead.

Partial engine failures are slightly different. If you're able to achieve/maintain 400" and stall speed + 20%, complete a minicircuit, completing FCCFI checks once downwind. (Throttle full, Fuel cock on, Choke in, Carb heat cold (unless icing susp), Fuel pump on, Ignition on.) Landing should be fairly simple, although remain alert, and keep asking yourself what you would do if the engine quite altogether.

If you can't maintain 400" and required speed, treat it as a full EFATO, but use whatever power you have to make it to the best landing site.