PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2006, 16:09
PaperTiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FW-190
A guy above said the "investigation barely begun". I suppose he's joking.
I'll be charitable and put it down to there being no Portuguese equivalent to barely begun in the sense of being in the very early stages of investigation. Officals everywhere have no business releasing "facts" until the investigation is complete; which will be months. Uninvolved parties speculating in an anonymous forum is one thing, authorities doing so to the press is something quite different
But yes, brazilian authorities are convinced that Legacy pilots were responsible for the crash.
ibid.
when the hypothesis are proven after investigation
More language differences presumably. The investigation continues, nothing yet is after it.
just want to ... deny the possibility of an american pilot making a stupid mistake and killing 154 people in another country skies.
Hyperbole aside, I don't think anybody has come out and stated unequivocally that the Legacy pilots did everything 100% correctly. It certainly appears their guard was down (SA), there were pax on the flight deck on at least one occasion - were they distracted, showing off the 'bells and whistles' and twiddled the wrong knobs ? Wait and see.

And most of us are not trying to crucify ATC either. But IMO it appears their performance left something to be desired. You have two converging targets, one of which is not squawking and not responding to calls at a last known alt. of 370. The other is both squawking and responding and climbing 350-390. What do you do ?

Hint: simply watching the blips merge should not be an option.

Last edited by PaperTiger; 9th Oct 2006 at 16:23.