PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2006, 14:29
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onetrack

I have been savaged many times on pprune. I offer my support and will take some flack for you if I may.

That a collision happened with two IFR planes means ATC failed somewhere.

Now if the controller has a tape of him shouting at both planes to do something and both planes didn't hear, there might be a technical problem...manmade or otherwise.

Including someone not having the audio panel set up properly.

ATC , when giving a clearance, must assume loss of radio communication from the moment of takeoff all the way to landing, there should be a watchful eye on the progression of all flights to make sure things are working as planned...and if not fix it up somehow.

I agree with you, I would prefer moeny to be spent on the human side of ATC rather than all the fancy computers.

In the US, you may certainly recall the comair crash...the one controller on duty was doing paperwork rather than watching out the window. While possibly within regs, possibly not, I would prefer regs and policies to be changed to have more HUMAN eyes and minds involved with ATC. I would also like to see reduced vertical seperation minimums removed and the 2000' spacing above FL290 resumed.

Add to that, the concept of one way airways, so planes are never head on.

People make mistakes, people make computer systems, people deal with computer systems/automation, and it is time to make sure the people side is cared for!

j