PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "After the departing.... line up"
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2006, 11:04
Giles Wembley-Hogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT3

In the main I'd say "yes". I am afraid that the answer is not entirely straightforward. Approaching SB1 after having taxied via S1N can leave us at a bit of an angle at SB1. If we have to stop and then start again from here it can mean large thrust applications which we try to avoid for noise/environmental reasons. If we are light, however, this is not a problem as the aircraft will move off at idle and then we can turn the tiller full over to the left and there is enough power to keep us moving.

Ideally there would be a holding position just a bit closer to 27L (unfortunately infringing the GP), but failing this a pre-emptive (albeit slightly outside of MATS pt2) clearance to pull "round the corner" is great.

... Or I could just carry on doing what I do now which involves me going around the corner as soon as the departing aircraft starts to line up and timing my taxy so that as it starts to roll I am outside the blast, but entering the runway. Needless to say I am not a mind reader, so sometimes I may have to stop before the runway but after the CAT 1 hold, which may upset Barnaby, but is actaully still in accordance with my clearance (as I am still "after" (geographically) the departing).

Ask 2 pilots or 2 ATCOs and you'll get 3 answers though!!

G W-H