PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2006, 10:21
Blues&twos

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by onetrack
There has been a MAC, which indicates a failure of ATC. How much simpler do you want it?

"We know that the transponder was turned off," said Jose Carlos Pereira, the head of Brazil's airports authority, the Estado De Sao Paulo newspaper reported on Wednesday .. ...this guy (head of the Brazil AA, note) KNOWS for sure, the transponder was TURNED OFF .. long before even any preliminary investigation is completed ..

I have a few questions about these statements - in a hypothetical situation if ATC have followed their protocols, attempted to contact both aircraft, or were unaware fully of a/c positions owing to xpdr(s) being off would that be a "failure of ATC"? Or am I interpreting what you mean by ATC incorrectly? (I.e. you mean ATC as a description for what happens rather than the guys who make it happen, if you get my drift).

Do we know the xpdr was TURNED off implying deliberate action by the Legacy crew, or do we just know it was inoperative as has been suggested? There is a world of difference between the two and that difference is very important.

How would anyone know the xpdr was turned off before the preliminary investigation??? Isn't that normally called a guess?