PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tain Range.
Thread: Tain Range.
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2006, 10:17
GeneralMelchet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ranger,
I have tried to address your points below.

If thats the case, why then did only 100 people attend the recent Jet Action Group meeting in Tain? That is less than 5% of the population of the local area,hardly a significant number! Out of that 100 people there is only a small number of people who do actually complain about the noise.

I agree only 100 people attended the meeting.You shouldn't dismiss these people out of had though.It only takes a good leader to change local indifference to outright opposition.Some of the local councillors may have their own reasons for backing this campaign.

What evidence is there to say that the range has any adverse effect on the local area? I am sure the 20+ people employed by the range would disagree. The range is not open at weekends when local tourism would be at its height and when in Tain or Dornoch as a Tornado ever roared overhead?Both towns have large avoidance areas surrounding them. Tain range has been part and parcel of the local community since before WWII,how many of the people that actually complain about the noise have such extended links? In the past year alone Tain has hosted well over 500+ visitors of whom many visit the town afterwards,especially the excellent distillery.

You are correct when you say the aircraft do not overfly Dornoch or Tain .They do not have to for the noise to be intrusive or in some case startling. You surely can't think that the constant noise from 4 tornados wheeling about the range for an hour at a time is not intrusive. I personally find the noise worse in Dornoch when the jets pass around the village than when they fly along the beach.

Tourism is not a weekend only event.The tourist season extends from May to October,peaking in July and August.I have personally heard visitors using the Dornoch Caravan site say they would not come back because of the noise. That is an adverse affect.If they tell their friends , that is an adverse affect.

It has been mentioned that some tourist like to watch the planes.This is indeed true.Many grab their cameras and head to the beach to get some pictures.After a few hours though they get bored with the planes.After a few days some find the noise wearing.

The new ASDA store in Tain will create more then 20 jobs and the complaints and objections to that will fade rapidly once it is there. How many of the staff at the range live locally?
20 jobs hardly constitutes the huge economic benefit that places like Lossiemouth and the surrounding area get from the presence of the base. I do realise we all benefit from Kinloss and Lossie, even up here.The perception is though that there is no local benefit to the range.

3." The RAF needs to get out there and beat the drum as to why they need the range at all. i.e. it is a vital training resourse for lossie etc. and engage in a positive way with the local comunity."
It does!Meetings take place on a regular basis with local councillors and views are aired.Annually the RAF provides a significant involvement to the Tain gala,providing at no cost numerous displays including the Red Arrows,hardly an adverse effect on tourism! The range engaged in a positive way this year to assist the largest golf tournament in Dornoch's calendar but even that caused adverse publicity rather than positive!

http://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/n...s_first.h tml

Yes you meet with the local councillors. How about some presentations to local groups, Young wives,WI whatever - slide shows ( god I must be getting old) etc. Show the RAF in a good light to the public. I assume the RAF has a press office who could handle all this.You must demonstrate a need for the Range. I know the RAF is fully commited overseas and need the range for vital training. If the range is vital to Lossie, then let people know. A local press campaign from the RAf saying the presence of the range will save the lives of soldiers and airmen in Afganistan and Iraq would silence a few voices.

A pity about the golf though. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

As you rightly say,the towns are growing rapidly although apart from the proposed new Asda store,I fail to see any major developments.This,regardless of the fact that the range is closeby.

Dornoch alone has planning permission for 100+ houses with more in the offing.Tain and surrounding villages are all expanding. There will only be more complaints unless the Range is presented in a more positive light.

From a local I find this encouraging,considering that the range is open from 9am-10pm Mon-Thu and 9am-2pm Fri,it just goes to show that a lot of the activity is going unnoticed,which can't be a bad thing.

You are right, I take very little notice of the noise, unless it sounds a bit different( anorak and camera to the ready). I will reiterate my last point. How many people would miss the range if it closed? Me for one but I suspect I am in the minority. You must accept that noise from the range has an affect on the surrounding area.The effort is needed to persuade people that it is necessary.

Last edited by GeneralMelchet; 8th Oct 2006 at 11:07.