PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 8th Oct 2006, 07:52
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, a straight forward case. The MoD said they were not aware of any vulnerability before this aircraft was shot down. We then showed that pilots had requested foam many times over many years. When this aircraft was shot down, we were not at war, so why should combat immunity apply?
Combat immunity is a highly complex legal subject. When I visited AOC 2 Gp I was told that there was no case to answer. Sir, I beg to differ. The MoD will try and rail road this inquest through as fast as possible. Well, I don't think that is going to happen now. Double standards, just about sums the MoD up.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: "This is not a complicated case. The C-130 was struck by a missile and it crashed. Legal representation is not necessary and it is quite appropriate for those deemed interested persons by the coroner to ask questions of witnesses at an inquest without legal assistance."

Not quite accurate there Trevor, legal representation is not necessary for the families but highly desirable for the MoD. Hope you sleep well at night.

Last edited by nigegilb; 8th Oct 2006 at 22:38.