PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2006, 21:54
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's very easy to get out of CG limits with the A++. We are required to do a wt/bal calculation before every takeoff. It's not at all unusual to have to move pax around to get it in CG. There is no way to carry much in the baggage compartment with adequate fuel and no pax in front, so it's not very good as a freighter. The only way is to remove seats, and this requires an A&P certificate, at least in the US. You also can be way out of CG forward if you fill the seats without much baggage. At least the CG doesn't move much as the fuel burns, and the fuel system is far better than the Rube Goldberg deal in the 412.

Kicking it way out of trim on final is one way to see, but only for one side. If you're the PNF and the PF is a new guy you haven't learned to trust, it's not much fun, especially in the dark. There is no possibility of both pilots being able to see the landing area. The glareshield is a problem, and it's difficult to find a position in which you can see both outside and the instruments. The seats are very uncomfortable, much worse than the 412, and the left seat in the C+/C++ won't hold anyone with a pot belly.

The electrical system apparently wasn't designed, it was just cobbled together as they went along.

The S76 does have its flaws, but all in all, it's the best helicopter I've ever flown, bar none. Relatively light, the first limit in cruise is Vne, at least with the later models, and climbing up to 6000 or 7000 feet requires reducing power a lot, giving low fuel flows while still giving good speed. It's a very stable instrument platform, and I can't think of any aircraft of any type I had rather fly in IMC, especially the C+. It has speed, range, and it's a joy to fly. Properly tracked, it's very smooth, other than the transient 4/per you get.