PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tain Range.
Thread: Tain Range.
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2006, 19:17
ajmacleod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's my perception that this "action group" is simply an attempt by Allan Torrance to curry favour with a certain sizeable and possibly disproportionately vocal section of the "community" in this area, in a fashion that's also unlikely to raise a huge degree of opposition (i.e. lost votes).

That section being the "affluent incomers", often people retiring up here. _Local_ people (and yes, I am one) are in my experience fairly indifferent regarding the range; yes, it can be annoying trying to speak to customers on the phone with Tornados streaking "overhead" - and I do recall some momentary disruption to classes from the noise when I went to Tain Academy (the a/c do not have to be directly overhead to be disturbingly loud.) On the whole though, it's generally little more than occasional background noise which has been there in some form or other for practically everyone's lifetime.

Regarding tourism, I often see tourists standing on the seafront watching the bombing runs with great interest, and have very rarely indeed heard any negative comments from visitors about the range.

The only times I can really recall being quite fed up with the noise from the range have been when we've had a prolonged patch of heavy use by helicopters - I find that noise much more irritating and tiresome than the normal FJs.

My main complaint about the range though is that the most aesthetically pleasing Buccs have been replaced with relatively dull Tornados and F-15s