PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2006, 19:04
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never flown the 365 so no comment. But really - who has?
S76 is more prevelant, more experienced and more usefull. Just look at the support problems with the Astar and imagine the issues with a 365.

As far as not seeing where you are going on night or raining conditions. I find that a bit weak. Rain, + RA, SN, FRZ RA, +SN and all manner of conditions; if you want to see where you are going, you fly the machine cross coupled. No big deal from either side - just step on the pedal and roll it over. Superb TR control and its a no brainer.

As for rugged. Lets get real about 'rugged'. Define what is RUGGED about offshore? No trees, wires, slopes, hills, mountains, turbulence, riggers, drillers, hover exits, hook work, blah blah. Its as NON rugged as she gets. The most expansive use of the 76 I am aware of and have been involved in, is in Canada where the machine is treated just like any other bush machine. They even land it in lakes up to the belly, hover exits, slopes, backyards, parks, boats....
Tonnes of field work on medevac in remote areas down to -40 at times. Those nutty Canuks land the damn thing in the craziest of places and I pretty much pleaded to consider the idea of a hoist.

The S76 would be a nicer machine if it lost a few pounds and didn't have such a crazy electrical system. Anti-icing on the rotors would be nice but the A model is still out there doing as good at the C+ to this day. Pretty useful aircraft considering the 154kt VNE and expansive flight envelope. Like Brian says - never worried about the COG unless it was annual flight check time but had an awareness of the evelope like every other working pilot.

I would love to see one stripped out, naked with a hook and longline window for some external op's. That would put a smile on the dial...