PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 3
Thread: Ryanair - 3
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2006, 17:08
Leo Hairy-Camel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post An Autumn Uprising.

What an odd world you live in, Pos-Init.
While he may very well mop up 51% of shares on the open market, it wont be enough to force the remaining share’s to be handed over. At best he may have a mild influence on how the company is run
I don’t know where you learned about corporate governance, Pos-Init, but in the real world, I think you’ll find that a single share more than 50% is a controlling interest. In other words, Ryanair will run the company. The Irish governments position; or rather, the present Irish government’s position, in retaining 25% +1 share is to ensure that the company isn’t de-listed from the Irish exchange. Opinions will vary, no doubt, but some may see this as a rather cynical attempt to curry favour with certain crucial North Dublin electorates, popular among voters currently employed by Aer Lingus. Oh, and there’s an election next year…did I mention that?
The government will not dispose of their 25% and staff will never dispose of their 16% - not to RYR anyway.
Wrong again, I'm afraid. The two fundamental drivers of human behaviour, Pos-Init, are fear and greed. If you successfully manipulate these two levers, you can teach a jackass to play canasta. Speaking of which, how enlightening to observe to braying to emerge from the lunatic left wing leader of SIPTU in recent days, the same leader of the same staff who previously swore black and blue they’d never acquiesce to a privatised Aer Lingus…until, of course, the unedifying spectacle of Dermot Mannion industrially fellating Mick Halfpenny to the tune of millions and a seat on the Aer Lingus board. Kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth, doesn’t it.
Anyone with a titter of wit could have foreseen this development.
Quite so, but SIPTU and the curiously silent (or should that be silenced) IALPA would do well to recall Aristotle when he reminded us that one swallow does not a summer make.