PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tain Range.
Thread: Tain Range.
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2006, 16:33
ranger703

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM,

Thanks for you response and objective argument.I'd like to respond to the points you have made if I may.......

1."If you were to take a poll of the residents of the three largest towns and villages affected by the noise from RAF Tain (namely Dornoch,Tain and Portmahomac) I am sure you would find a significant number of people would be in favour of its closure."
If thats the case, why then did only 100 people attend the recent Jet Action Group meeting in Tain? That is less than 5% of the population of the local area,hardly a significant number! Out of that 100 people there is only a small number of people who do actually complain about the noise.

2."At a purely selfish level the range has only an adverse affect for the local area. For an area which relies to a large extent on tourism , the noise from the aircraft using the range is a significant issue. You only have to watch the reaction of a bus load of old biddys when a Tornado roars overhead to see it has an adverse affect.
The range itself doesnt make a significant impact on the local economy - it is not a base such as Lossie or Kinloss, which are now part and parcel of the local community."
What evidence is there to say that the range has any adverse effect on the local area? I am sure the 20+ people employed by the range would disagree. The range is not open at weekends when local tourism would be at its height and when in Tain or Dornoch as a Tornado ever roared overhead?Both towns have large avoidance areas surrounding them. Tain range has been part and parcel of the local community since before WWII,how many of the people that actually complain about the noise have such extended links? In the past year alone Tain has hosted well over 500+ visitors of whom many visit the town afterwards,especially the excellent distillery.

3." The RAF needs to get out there and beat the drum as to why they need the range at all. i.e. it is a vital training resourse for lossie etc. and engage in a positive way with the local comunity."
It does!Meetings take place on a regular basis with local councillors and views are aired.Annually the RAF provides a significant involvement to the Tain gala,providing at no cost numerous displays including the Red Arrows,hardly an adverse effect on tourism! The range engaged in a positive way this year to assist the largest golf tournament in Dornoch's calendar but even that caused adverse publicity rather than positive!

http://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/n...ers_first.html

4."It is no use willy waving and saying you should have known better than to live there. These towns are growing rapidly and with major developments in almost all villages near RAF Tain ,the complaints will only get louder."
As you rightly say,the towns are growing rapidly although apart from the proposed new Asda store,I fail to see any major developments.This,regardless of the fact that the range is closeby.

5."On good (or bad day depending how you look at it) there can be aircraft operating around the range for 3 or 4 hours a day with up to 4 aircraft operating at a time."
From a local I find this encouraging,considering that the range is open from 9am-10pm Mon-Thu and 9am-2pm Fri,it just goes to show that a lot of the activity is going unnoticed,which can't be a bad thing.

Thanks again for your response GM.

Regards
Ranger