PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Recruiting - New FRI Ibound?
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2006, 12:29
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you'll find that £125K salaries are unlikely - the basic captain gets about £74K, plus sector pay of about £50 each (a proportion is tax free as it is earned outside the UK - ala all airlines). Working a 15 day month for 11 months at an avg 3 sectors a day, equates to another £24K. So roughly £100K along with any bonuses and RAF pension it might get above £100K. Not bad?

Of course, you have to get into LHS first and this will takes a lot longer than 6 months. Nonetheless, an FO still gets about £35K plus about £25 asector - about £46K plus pension - see the company blurb or ppjn.com or equivalent. (I'm not even sure how much I actually get! Whatever it is, it pays the bills and the missus spends the rest!!!)

Captaincy will depend on many factors, not least the promotion opportunities and your ability - EZY is a meritocracy - and there are a lot of high quality people already in. Luckily, promotion prospects are picking up after a quiet couple of years - plan on 18mths - 2 years if you have previous captaincy experience. However, while those with a military background of AT and jets have a little advantage, it is pretty obvious that EZY recruit high quality people (don't know how I managed it?) who are prepared to work hard for eachother. While no company is perfect, certainly, I have not flown with any plonkers at all in the past 18 months - either ex mil or civil. Even those with a fairly fearsome past-reputation had 'chilled' considerably. Whether, with such rapid expansion, this continues, remains to be seen.

The life style also may not suit everyone but, for me, it is perfect and the main reason why I joined (along with my base location). I am home every night, to my own bed, my own kids and even my own wife! I can take the kids to school or pick them up. I hardly do any nightstops - and I don't get jet-lag. All my days off are at home and not in some far flung hotel. This allows me time with my family and for my many 'diversions' and social life.

Furthermore, I know what days I am working many months in advance (possibly even years ahead if BALPA manage to get a good deal over the duty-cycle). The roster is fairly stable, with far less f-factor than the RAF or even some other companies. The flying is busy (esp in summer) with a varied european route structure and lots of approaches and landings - no long, boring cruise legs. Its also nice to fly new aircraft with few gliches (mostly)And...... the view from the office window is still pretty impressive - beats the hell out of High Wycombe or Binnsworth!!!

While there is always room for improvement in any company (in EZYs case the recurrent (non-sim) training lacks flair and imagination), progress seems possible as the company seems to be led by a people-orientated CEO from whom the military chiefs could learn oodles.

Anyone interested - please PM - there is a 'recommend a pilot scheme' for which I get paid enough to cover a curry and a lot of beers. (Although... a recommendation from me, might be the kiss of death for you!!!!!!!!)

Flip

ps The really good bit is that you are not doing His Excellency Lord Tone's bidding, no-one is shooting at you neither do you sleep in a tent in the desert.

Last edited by flipster; 7th Oct 2006 at 12:46.