PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 3
Thread: Ryanair - 3
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2006, 08:34
oldlag53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People are underestimating the value of Dublin slots in all this! This is the "Tiger economy" of Europe at the moment.
Ah, I wondered how long it would be before someone quoted the Ultimate Irish Fantasy. I have now lived in Ireland for nearly 2 years (refugee from UK ratrace - I came here for the peace and not for career), and the 'Tiger Economy' is utter nonsense. Infrastructure here is appalling, with some of the lowest standards of healthcare, education and transport in Europe, and the country's present economic situation is based almost entirely on a massively-overheating housing market and a rate of corporation tax which is half of most major EU countries' rates. And most worrying, there is no plan for the future when a)the housing market collapses, and b)all the foreign companies disappear off to more lucrative climes in Eastern Europe.

If the Dublin slots are so valuable, how come Alitalia have just pulled out?? And if RYR/EIN goes ahead, you can bet a number of others will pack their bags too.

The Mannion interview on RTE1 News was indescribably bad - yet another corporate clone droning the same old biz-speak - if he's in charge Aer Lingus have no chance.

I am now wondering if MOL is not doing this to expand his business but rather his usual mischief-making: he's got a massive amount of free publicity, people admire his 'chutzpah', and if it doesn't succeed, he makes a monster profit on the EIN shares for doing nothing.