PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How old are current wanabees?
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2006, 00:02
GUARD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm 41 and previously worked as a lawyer from the bottom at age 16, studied part-time as a mature student and then spent almost every cent I had on flying training from the age of 27. Used to work all week in the office and then take the bus/train/bus out to the airport every weekend to do my hour of flying. Took 2 years to get my PPL then about 1 year for CPL. Did weekend surveillance flying ( as a volunteer ) for a further couple of years whilst paying for my Instructor rating.

Left the law and trained international airline cadets for a while, worked part-time jobs washing aircraft, cleaning etc just to stay involved. Returned to law to pay for multi training and instrument training approvals, eventually got offered a job where I'd dropped a resume in a year before and built my multi time up, did some charter and started with one airline briefly before my current one came along 4 odd years ago and now I'm waiting for a command ( slow process where I work ).

This is entirely different to how I imagined the dream but the rich experience I have had along the way and the friendships I have formed could not be swapped for any amount of money or perceived prestige.

I would still love to fly a jet but must say it is tricky getting through the cull when you're over 40. I feel 25 but the application doesn't take that into account.

So for anyone considering a career change then consider going for it. It probably won't pan out anything like you imagine but there will be no risk of regrets in your room at the nursing home.....

Enjoy.

GUARD