PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Huey in Capetown (including Huey down)
Old 8th May 2005, 15:47
alwaysinverted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing...... all these Hueys that are suddenly enroute to SA. All of a sudden, everyone wants a Huey, and one continues to hear stories about certified Hueys coming from Germany, from Canada, from Iran, from America etc. Where are they though? Then one hears stories that there is only one person in SA that can import Hueys legally, and that is the man who recently imported the SWFA 204HP. Apparently he has 12 import permits, and only he knows how to get them, contrary to popular belief.

I saw the SWFA 204HP at Wonderboom last Saturday. Also heard rumours that the owner has made submissions to the SACAA to alter the C of A so that he can fly passengers, and guess what????? The SACAA is very sympathetic, and MAY consider his request.

Well if that happens, then it is clear that the SACAA can set precedents, and that of course, will open the door very wide for anyone in aviation that wants to do as he pleases without needing authority or approval from the SACAA. A circus it surely will be.

I think its time that the Commercial Aviation Association set up a meeting with the Minister, the Commissioner and his utterly useless cronies, to address the incompetence of the SACAA. I mean, its gone to the dogs. No one there can take or make decisions, and the main madam, who by the way knows nothing about helicopters, simply cannot apply her mind in any sensible manner. Everything and anything goes.

Tormas, welcome to pprune. I think I met you during your stint in FAEL a year or so ago. You don't need to be so defensive, and neither do you have to explain yourself about professionalism etc. The question remains. Did you check the paperwork on the Huey you converted to? Did you see a valid C of A etc, and were you convinced that everything was perfect, Main Rotoir Blades not Timex, component cards, records etc, or did you just accept from the folks there, that all was OK? Thats where the professional bit comes in.

The other big question??? How current will you be on a Huey 4 or 5 months down the line when your fleet of Hueys arrive? How current will you be in case of an emergency? It's one thing having the rating after one or two flying hours, but surely you as an instructor should know that the proof of the pudding is in the eating. When that onboard emergency occur, how will you deal with it then? Maybe you guys should get the Canadian you initially approached to lecture you, to do some REAL Huey flying with you, and to teach you something about a Huey.

Good luck with your endeavours! This site is indeed very interesting.